permanent events

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:25 am
Hi there,

we are using DayBack for a music school and a major part for the calendar will be to show the weekly lesson of each student
in the schedule.

The problem here is, that if a student starts his lessons, there is no end specified (and the end of his studies will hopefully be far in the future)

I was wondering, if it is possible to create events, that simply show the name and time of the student every week without creating an event for every single date.

The only information that I need to be able to edit is the start and end date of that "permanent event" no need to add any other information.

Would that be possible?

Thank you in advance

Horst
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:16 am
Hello Horst,

Thanks for reaching out here about DayBack. While a single event record cannot be displayed on multiple, separate days, DayBack does have scripts built in for easily creating repetitions. In a stock copy of DayBack, if you click on an event and then click the "View Event Record" button from the custom actions drawer (the gear icon on the lower right of the popover), then you can utilize the "repeat" button on the event detail layout. There are a lot of options available for creating repetitions, so you could quickly create the weekly lessons as repetitions.

Then, if you need to cancel or change the future repetitions for a student, you can perform a find for that student's future events and delete or modify them as needed. This process for editing/deleting future events could be automated within a custom script, but manually performing finds and making edits (perhaps using 'Replace Field Contents") may get the job done.

I hope this helps! Keep us posted if you have any other questions on this.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:11 am
Hi Dan,

thank you for your detailed reply.
I´m aware of the repeating event function. I just wanted to find a smarter solution for the issue then generating hundreds of events for each of our 600 Students. But thank you anyway!

The calendar is great though!

Best regards
Horst

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker