Show Event Details on Calendar (from another file)

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:27 am
I have separate file that carries Clients. In this file I have a portal showing client appointments (appointments table is in Dayback file). I want to click a line in the portal in Clients and have the calendar open, move to the correct day view and open that event. I tried to send parameters to the "Show Event Details On Calendar" script but having some trouble formatting/sending the correct variable names. Any pointers would be appreciated.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:14 pm
Hi Jim,

Thanks for reaching out regarding this. I'll set up an example and create a short video going over this and post it here later today.

Thanks,

KC
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:26 pm
Hi Jim,

You can find a quick video showing how to copy the "Show Event Details..." script and modify it to work with your portal here: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cbnVVrQRVs

As I mention in the video, you could pass in the two variables from your portal button instead of hard-coding them in the script if you'd like to use the same script for multiple portals.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 pm
That's great. I've noticed however that this works consistently if I'm on the Month view. On the resource schedule with 4 resources showing, I can only get the first event to change the date. After that the calendar date won't change. Same with week and day views. No reaction from the calendar. Having this work in Week Sched mode is most important to me.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:44 am
I just tried it again this morning and suddenly it does indeed work in Week Sched mode. Not sure why it failed initially. :?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:54 am
Hi Jim,

Great to hear that it's working now. Let us know if you see that behavior again with week view and we'll see what might be going on.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 pm
I need to look at the screen cast you put up regarding this and noticed that it's missing. Can you repost it?

I can't seem to get this to work on another calendar.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:03 pm
Hi Jim,

Here's how I'd do this: https://seedcodevideos.s3.amazonaws.com ... f8tui4.mp4

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm
Thanks John. I was using the wrong scripts. I seem to be having an issue with this. When I click my link (in the other contacts file) nothing opens. It doesn't flip to the correct week or month and doesn't open the event. It does bring the calendar forward though.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:30 pm
I'm sorry, Jim! I forgot that this script kind of needs to run in the context of the event. Stay tuned and we'll post details.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:31 pm
Additionally, I noticed that the exact same coding doen from the Sample Contacts works just fine but if I try it from a saparate file. It doesn't work at all. Curious...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 am
Also in relation to this, I noticed the script called "Show Event Details On Calendar (SourceNo ; FocusDate)" has a trap in it for Filemaker Go stating that this script is not supported. Is there really no way to make that work?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:09 pm
Hi Jim,

We're still looking into the best way to accomplish this from a separate file so we can get it into our documentation. I'll check in with John to see if he has details on the FMGo compatibility issue. We'll reach out with more details.

Thanks,

KC
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:36 pm
Hi Jim,

I've added a new section to our Navigation docs which shows how to modify the "Show Event Details On Calendar..." script to allow passing the additional parameter $sc_EventID when navigating from outside the context of the event record. Once you've applied the changes to the script, you can set up your button to run this script in the DayBack file and pass the $sc_SourceNo and $sc_EventID parameters to load the calendar showing that specific event.

When we tested this in the past on FMGo, we had undesirable results. I commented out those lines and tested on a new iPad running FMGo 16 and it seems to be working as expected. If you're running FMGo 16 on your devices, it might be worth a shot. Just be aware that you might run into unexpected results.

I hope that helps!

KC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:12 am
Hi Guys. I put in the code for the jump from anther file and it more or less works but I've noticed an issue. If you close the calendar file (accidentally or on purpose with the red window close button), it opens on it's own but hidden (this is OK). But when I click my go to related record button in the separate contacts file (to jump to any event) I get the "Invalid Date" message.

I am passing the following parameters in the GTRR script sent to the calendar:

#("sc_FocusDate" ; $startdate) &
#("sc_SourceNo" ; 1) &
#("sc_EventID" ; $eventid)

--Update--
I noticed that the Upon Startup script didn't run when the calendar opened hidden. I added a script step to select the calendar window ahead of the GTRR. That opened the correct event, but the Invalid Date message still shows.
Next

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker