Wider "horizon" view for big or multiple displays?

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 am
Running DayBack v9.97 in Filemaker Pro Advanced 14.0.6 Mac OS X.

At present the "horizon" view width selector slider maxes out at 9 weeks.
My dual-monitor setup is 3200 x 1200 pixels & could comfortably fit 18-24 weeks of horizon.

Is there a script adjustment I can make to expand the range of the "horizon" view slider beyond 9 weeks?

EDIT: Whoops, Filemaker doesn't allow expanding a single window across 2 displays. But the question still stands -- is it easy to alter the maximum horizon width? I might want to try 12 or 15 weeks, even on a 1600px-wide display.

Thanks.
--------
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 am
Hi rowanning,

That's a great question and we love to hear that you'd be interested in a longer horizon timeline.

We have intentions on allowing the Horizon view to be expanded much further into the future, but we don't yet have a timeline on when that might be released.I wish I had better news for you, but unfortunately, I can't give a solid date on the release.

I have added a +1 to our request for this feature and we'll send you a notification when we've implemented this feature.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:56 am
Sounds good KC. Even if Filemaker doesn't at present support stretching a single window across multiple displays, it might in a future release. A DayBack user with a lot of screen real estate might want to stretch a single Dayback calendar window across 3 displays.. or more.

Look forward to this improvement whenever it may be released.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:07 pm
Rowanning,

That's great feedback!

While you can't maximize DayBack to multiple screens, you should be able to resize the window manually to stretch across both. It's a bit of a workaround, but semi-functional.

I'll make sure to get that feedback to the team.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:18 pm
kcembrey wrote:While you can't maximize DayBack to multiple screens, you should be able to resize the window manually to stretch across both. It's a bit of a workaround, but semi-functional.

Hmm, I can't do that in my setup. I can't manually drag-resize a filemaker window across two screens. Is it due to my version of Filemaker (14.0.6) or because I'm on OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan I wonder?

---

But aside from my specific problem, it sounds like this is already possible in other configurations. That being the case, the best way to help people with giant screens (for example, (3) 2560 x 1600 displays configured 3-abreast = 7,680 horizontal pixels) might be for SeedCode to determine the minimum viable pixel count to represent a single column (i.e. 1 day), & then have Filemaker query the system's display resolution & dynamically adjust the maximum week-horizon length accordingly.

(Easily 75 weeks in the (3) x display setup I describe abvove.)

If that adds too much complexity, maybe just add a "Max Horizon Weeks" field under Settings, pick a sensible default (like 10 weeks,) and then giant-display users can go in & experiment with whatever "Max Horizon Weeks" value suits them best.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:11 pm
Hi Rowanning,

I figured it would turn out it doesn't work the same way on a Mac as it does on my Windows machine.

I spoke with the team and it turns out there is a setting you will need to change on your system to allow windows to span multiple screens.

Here's a screenshot of the setting that will need to be updated:
SeparateSpaces.png
Separate Spaces
SeparateSpaces.png (247.77 KiB) Viewed 13365 times

The only caveat with this is that it sounds like, in El Capitan and earlier, it will make the alternate monitor grayed out when you maximize one window.

Give that a try and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:12 am
Thanks, disabling "Displays have separate spaces" allows me to stretch a single window across two monitors. In my case I can definitely use a 40-week horizon, maybe even 60 weeks. Would be very useful to see an entire year in horizon view.

Noted about "alternate screen grays out if a window is maximized" but I can live with that as I almost never use maximized "full screen" windows.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:42 am
Great to hear that worked for you!

I'll let the team know you'd be interested in a lot wider range of dates.

Thanks,

KC
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:22 pm
Hi Rowanning,

Just wanted to let you know that a new in-app update now takes DayBack's horizon view out to 20 weeks!

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... ionHistory

Hope that's good news,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker