Custom notifications / message at bottom of the calendar

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:59 am
I really like how the calendar can unobtrusively let the user know the event has been saved, and I especially like how it can tell you the event cannot be edited if it's read only.

I would like to be able to send my own custom messages to that routine from FileMaker as well.

For example, we have custom business logic that may not allow an event to be edited and/or moved. We could easily display the message in a FileMaker dialog, but it would be smoother to use the calendar messaging at the bottom of the screen.

Is that possible today somehow, and if not is it something that could be a new feature?

Thanks!
Trevor
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:22 pm
Hi Trevor,

That's a great question. Right now we don't have a way of initiating the notification bar from a FileMaker script, but there is a way to use it through a JavaScript Custom Action on an event. If that's something that would be helpful to you, you can follow the documentation here to create a JavaScript Custom Action: https://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.p ... tomActions

In your JavaScript, you can use the following function to display a notification in the calendar's bar:
Code: Select all
dbk.showMessage('This is where your message goes');

If you want to display info from the event in which the custom action was run, you can use the event data tokens as described in the documentation.

If you're using FileMaker 16, and you want to pursue a similar notification bar that you can access from FM scripts, you could look into having a card window slide up from the bottom of the layout.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,

KC

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker