DayBack and High-DPI screens

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 am
Hell0 -

I am adapting our solution from a Calendar based on version 5.7* to DayBack.

I recently set up my prototype on a "Highi-DPI" PC laptop (a Lenovo Yoga 700) using FileMaker Pro 16 and have seen some disappointing results, relative to the beautiful display I see on my non-retina 15" MacBook Pro (or an attached external monitor).

With the Lenovo set to the recommended 150% display magnification, the Calendar display and text is very tiny, while a FileMaker based Event Detail window (based on the layout you created for the To-Do calendar) is too large and the text therein much larger than desired. Increasing the system magnification to 175% doesn't help much and increasing the FileMaker Pro magnification also produces strange results. I did find that by selecting Properties -> Compatibility and "Override High_DPI scaling behavior performed by: System (Enhanced)" the sizes are as expected, but the text is somewhat fuzzy, spoiling this otherwise beautiful calendar.

So my question is, is there a way to detect that a High-dpi screen resolution is present and then pass parameters to the webviewer to compensate with a larger display, providing some measure of resolution independence, so that I won't have to have my end viewers editing application properties (or squinting)?

I haven't tested DayBack on a Retina MacBook Pro. Does it do better with this than Windows?

Thank you!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:21 pm
Hi wsmiii,

This is a tough one to deal with. FileMaker's recommendation is to leave the Windows scaling settings to the default, as forcing Windows scaling features overrides FileMaker's built-in scaling. Since the Yoga has such a high-density screen for how small it is, and the WebViewer is not scaled by default, the calendar text is going to show up pretty small.

Since WebViewers are rendered as a web page, they have a separate zoom mechanism from FileMaker's zoom. This means you can zoom into the calendar using ctrl+scroll (or + and -) and it will not affect the other FileMaker objects. This is probably the best way to get the calendar objects to render at a higher scale without making your Event Detail window look too large.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is something that can be changed within FileMaker's scripts, as it is really tied to your browser and not the WebViewer or the rendered page. I'll check with the team to see if there's any way we can scale just the calendar programmatically and get back to you with more info.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:31 pm
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate you looking into this.

By the way, do Retina MacBooks do better with DayBack than Windows, or do similar problems occur?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:55 pm
Hi wsmiii,

Sorry for not getting to that question in my first reply

We have a couple Retina MacBooks that we currently use for development and testing and we think they look great! The MacBook screens aren't quite as small, but also it could be that MacOS and Safari handle DPI scaling with FileMaker better than Windows and Internet Explorer.

One thing to try with the Lenovo might be to increase the system-wide Windows DPI scaling, keeping in mind that this will have an effect on all apps. Here's a link to instructions on adjusting the Windows DPI scaling: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 2147217396

I'll dig in a bit more on the possibility of applying the zoom using CSS and get back to you with more info.

Regards,

KC
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:35 pm
Hi wsmiii,

While there might be a way to zoom the calendar in using CSS, this change would apply to all your devices using DayBack. I wish I had better news for you, but unfortunately, there's really not a way around this. It seems that, apart from using an external monitor on that machine, the best way to increase the size of the web objects in the calendar is to use the built-in browser zoom controls.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:30 pm
Thanks for looking into this for me. The "scroll to magnify" solution should be satisfactory.

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker