DayBack Problems with FM Pro 16 on MacOS

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:55 am
I'm seeing the following:

My modified Dayback 10.25 works well under FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced on the Mac (both Sierra and High Sierra). It also runs properly under FM Pro 16 under Windows 10*

However, under FM Pro 16 on MacOS (whether high or not) my DayBack displays, "The calendar did not load. You probably made a database change while on this layout" and the launch stalls. Then, oddly enough, FM Pro 15 Advanced launches unbidden and successfully starts my DayBack.

I downloaded your most recent trial version of DayBack. On MacOS this virgin copy functions fine under FM Pro 15 Advanced, starting in the Month view and displaying your sample events. It also works fine under FM Pro 16 Windows. However, under FM Pro 16 Mac it gets to the Month view (and displays the "30 day trial" splash) but displays no sample events. If I click back a month it alters the month but again displays no events (although does show a succession of cursors: first Command-period, then the hour glass, then a spinning beachball, then back to Command-period. I found that if I double click on a day when these cursors are rolling I'm invited to create a new event. Then weirdly, FileMaker Pro 15 Advanced launches - but stalls and has to be force-quit.

I've seen this page:

https://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.p ... ker.FMPURL

I don't encounter the "Your access privileges..." Message. All of my accounts have fmurlscript set to "On."

Upon running the test link to fmp://$/DayBack.fmp12?script=Unused&param=run, with the name of my file appropriately added and 'running' (stalled) in FM Pro 16, nothing happens, then FileMaker Pro 15 Advance launches! The same thing happens with your virgin DayBack running under 16.

I don't find the plist files mentioned on that page in either Library.

Is my attempted FM Pro 16 launch somehow branching into a FM Pro 15 Advanced launch, leaving the 16 start incomplete?

*Upon starting DayBack Under Windows 10 it leaves behind a browser window displaying the message, "Cannot reach this page" and the address "http://&language=auto&version=.16568321996927226625/#?&clearUserSettings=" (I also have trouble getting it to find my Datatrium host at all, but successfully launch it using a small Launcher FM pro File supplied by Datatrium.)
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:18 am
Hi wsmii,

It sounds like you're on the right track looking at the FMP URL scheme being the issue.

With MacOS, you can usually just close all instances of FileMaker, then open only the version that you'd like to use with DayBack. Since only one version of FileMaker can be assigned to FMP URLs at a time, if you have multiple versions open, your system might try to run these scripts using the wrong version.

If opening only FM16 doesn't work for you on the Mac, you can try re-installing FM16 to see if that resolves the issue.

With Windows, the last version installed will be the version that is assigned to open FMP URLs. You can usually just run the FM16 installer again and choose the "Repair" option to assign these to open in FM16. If that isn't working for you, you can follow the steps in the FMP URL troubleshooting docs to manually assign the scripts to open in FM16.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

KC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:31 pm
Hello -

I reinstalled FMP 16, but no change.

The weird thing is that even if FMP 16 is the only instance of FMP running, when the FM Pro 16 start of DayBack stalls, the FMP 15 Advanced application launches from a dead stop (e.g. icon bouncing in the dock), then starts DayBack.

What the heck is that??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:18 pm
Another datapoint:

I have a Mac Mini around that runs El Capitan (the latest version of the MacOS it can run).

It runs FM Pro 16 and my Dayback just fine.

FYI my main computer is a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 9,1 (non retina), 16gb, 500gb Samsung EVO 850 SSD with two partitions. One partition boots Sierra, the other boots High Sierra. FM Pro 16 shows this strange behavior booted into either partition.

Generally, the most trouble-free computer I've ever owned.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:36 pm
Still more:

With DayBack's startup stalled under FMP 16 at the layout/message I described above ("The calendar did not load... etc.), I did the following:

I typed Command-L to put FM and the Web viewer layout into layout mode. Then Command-B, back to browse. Upon reentering Browse the Calendar draws itself successfully, but displays no events. Any movement to a day, week or month containing an event results in FMPro 15 Advanced launching (icon bouncing in the dock) and attempting to load DayBack.

(My DayBack happens to be named DayBack 3, btw.)
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:41 pm
Hi wsmii,

Unfortunately, there's not much direction from FileMaker on fixing this issue besides only having one instance of FileMaker installed on your machine.

Since you're not seeing the LSHandlerURLScheme section of the ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file, I'll check with the team to see if they have any other ideas and get back to you.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:44 pm
Here is some joy:

Thinking along the same lines, I removed all other instances of FM Pro (e.g. FM Pro 15 advanced, an older trial install of FM Pro 15, etc.) from my High Sierra partition. That leaves FM Pro 16 alone.

With no alternatives to branch to, now DayBack runs fine under 16.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:55 pm
With FM Pro 16 running DayBack well, I then reinstalled FM 15 Advanced on the same partition (High Sierra).

Weirdly, now it is FM Pro 15 Advanced that stalls the DayBack startup, then launches FM Pro 16! The reverse of what I was originally experiencing.

Apparently they can't coexist, at least not for the purposes of running DayBack, due to confusion regarding which is going to do what.

My workaround is to use FM Pro 15 Advanced in one partition, FM Pro 16 in the other.

A dilemma is: FM pro 16's ability to use variables in the path to an external data source would be a lifesaver for my solution. 15 can't do that. Meanwhile, I don't have a copy of FM Pro 16 Advanced, and don't want to spring for one - yet also don't want to give up the Advanced programming tools.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:57 am
Hi wsmiii,

Most of the time, our troubleshooting docs will help you be able to manage which version of FileMaker is assigned to FMP URLs. Unfortunately, those workaround methods don't always work and the best way to specify the version you want to use is to only have that version installed.

FMP URLs can only be assigned to one instance of FileMaker at a time. Basically, we're sending your OS a link similar to a web page, and your OS needs to decide how to open that link. Whichever application your OS has assigned to that type of link will be the application used to open the link. We use FMP URLs constantly when using DayBack, most commonly to refresh the list of events loaded in the calendar.

I wish I had better news for you, but unfortunately, there's not a great way to manage multiple instances of FileMaker and files that take advantage of FMP URLs on a single machine. Within the team here, many times we just uninstall/reinstall FileMaker when we need to try different versions.

In my case, I have FileMaker 16 on my main machine, but have a virtual machine set up to run FileMaker 15 so each version is the only one installed on the OS. This might be something worth looking into.

Regards,

KC

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker