'Looks like something's wrong message

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:13 am
Hi John/KC

Sorry I have a very odd problem that I am sure has a very simple answer.

My first implementation of DayBack has been running great for over 2 years. The client is a financial institution and as such the server is not permitted to have access to the internet. This has meant that I have been unable to upgrade the version of DayBack since implementation, and why they do not have a subscription.
Naturally they have to undergo significant testing for operating systems and application versions before rolling out new versions.

The FileMaker server has been running on FMS14 under OSX 10.9.x, but as this is now unsupported we have to move to Sierra - High Sierra does not meet their security criteria. Naturally the plan is to also move to FMS16 and to upgrade the clients from FMP14 at the same time.

I see no reason that any functionality will be impaired or fail to work, but when I installed a backup copy on my FMS14 Server to have a look DayBack fails (the message being the subject of this post)- to the extent I cannot get access to the version number etc.

I have check privileges - nothing seemed odd - I have even given myself all privileges and extended privileges. This happens with FMP14 and FMP16client on OSX 10.11.6 and OSX 10.13.4.

Note that I have no problem with more recent implementations using the same clients, and that it is working perfectly at the client site where the clients are running OSX 10.12.x

I suspect t the version of DayBack is 9.58, but I will check when I am in on Monday.I see a fix with version 9.72 that might be related, but even when I set the date to one where there would be no events returned it still fails.

Clearly the obvious steps too take are to either

1) update the version of DayBak on the copy I have to see if it fixes the issue, but I would also have to do many changes to FileMaker Scripts to (DayBack has been integrated), even ifI could access the sidebar to perform the update
or
2) take my laptop in and try it on-site. This is not an option - no external devices are permitted on their network.

Is there something obvious I have missed?

Thanks

Tim
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:00 am
Hi Tim,

Thanks for reaching out regarding your client's DayBack solution. Sorry to hear you're running into this issue.

The first thing to keep in mind is that only DayBack version 9.90 and greater are compatible with FileMaker 16, so if the intention is to get it working with 16, the calendar will need to be updated. Here's more info on FileMaker 16 and the required FMP URL settings for compatibility: https://www.seedcode.com/filemaker-16-compatibility/

Since they're running a much older version, depending on the number of customizations made to DayBack, it might be quicker to start over with a fresh copy and re-integrate it into their solution. The normal update process would be to run the in-app updates, then apply all the required script updates between the version they're on and the latest version, as detailed on our version history page here: http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... ionHistory

As far as you running into the issue on FileMaker 14, it's possible that the "Upon Opening" script is not being run or is unable to complete successfully. This might happen if the DayBack file is part of a solution with other files where the "Upon Opening" script steps have been moved into another file's startup script. If that's the case, just opening the DayBack file will result in the error you're seeing, as none of the startup scripts have run. Make sure you're accessing the solution in the same way users would access it on the server normally.

Let me know if that helps!

KC
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:52 am
Thanks KC,

Sounds like the issue wis the version they have, but I cannot say for sure which the version is. I am slightly confused because not only can I not find out what version it is, but it says there are 762 days of free updates available, but no 'Check for updates' button! There should be no days of free updates - I am happy to send you the Order number back channel. See attached screenshot

Unfortunately I have made a lot of customisations so it looks like I will have to go through all the changes, once I can get the update. I hope I will be able to do this with the $299 'Extend In-App Updates' and in doing so I will get to see the button to update ( i am guessing it is not available because it is not eligible)

There is no issue with the 'Upon Opening' script, and I have a copy working using FMPA14 on my FMS14 server now
Thanks KC

Tim
Attachments
DayBackAnon.png
DayBackAnon.png (162.94 KiB) Viewed 12705 times
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:01 am
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the screen-shot. We had an issue in older versions of the calendar where the update days countdown would start counting up the days after reaching 0. That means the in-app updates for that license expired 762 days ago.

We recently changed the way our in-app updates work so that they are a subscription that immediately enables your calendar to be updated for a year. For the 5+ user license, the $299 extension will enable you to install the updates to the latest version.

You can find the current build number of your calendar by checking the "BuildNumberCalc" field in the "CalendarInterface" table under the Manage Database menu.

Let me know if that helps.

KC
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:30 am
Thanks KC,

BuildNumberCalc say 9.57

Don't hold your breath for the update - these guys are corporate!

Cheers

Tim
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:49 am
Wow, your guess in the first post was pretty accurate!

If you'd like to show them the new features, you can always download a fully-unlocked 30-day trial copy of DayBack with plenty of sample data Here

That way they can look around and test out the new features without needing to commit to the updates until they're sure they'll find the new features useful.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 12:33 pm
Thanks KC,

new features less of a concern to them than current solution working on FM16 (or higher?) platform. I have a licence I use for developing I could use to show them.

Thanks again

Tim
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:24 pm
Sounds good, Tim.

Getting the calendar updated will allow it to work in FileMaker 16+. Let us know if you have any questions on that!

Regards,

KC

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker