Dual monitor, calendar always open

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:32 am
Hi,

This might be a repeated question, but search has bring no result.

Filemaker 17 on Win7 (soon Win10)

Or dispatch would like to have the calendar on a secondary screen to always be open, and work every other aspect of our app into the main screen.

Is this possible ? Will this require a lot of changes ? Will this drive us insane with all the maximize, minimize screen flash opening and closing ?

Anyone had similar experience trying to do it ?

Thanks
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:09 pm
Hi jffortier,

I believe Windows 7 should still be able to take advantage of the completely separate windows feature in FileMaker 17. So, you should just need to make sure that the calendar is opened first. In the "Upon Opening" script, the window is named and the $$sc_SolutionWindowName variable is set to that window name. The calendar always needs to be opened in a window matching this variable name.

After the "Upon Opening" script is run, you should be able to open another window and finish running your startup script to take the users to your main screen layout for them to perform other tasks. Anytime you run the "Go To WebViewer Calendar Layout..." or "Refresh Calendar" scripts, the calendar window will be focused on automatically and refreshed/loaded appropriately.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

KC
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 7:24 am
Hi,

Just to do a follow up on anyone reading this in a later time.

I have achieved what I wanted.

#1- Use ScriptMaster and create a plugin (or built function from ScriptMaster free) to find out how many monitors connected, size and X-Y location of the 2nd one (Or a you can deal with a more complex calculation if >2 )

#2- name the $$sc_SolutionWindowName based if user as > 1 monitor

#3- Script my opening sequence to open the calendar solution in a new window, work even if monitor #2 is left or right position of the main monitor.

#4- change my navigation script to the calendar layout/window.

#5- Enjoy working in FM and DayBack on 2 monitors 1920x1080 32" :D

Now I need to add a way to refresh more often the 2nd moniteur calendar layout, as if other users on the network change something in the calendar. The calendar doesn't get refresh when you switch to that already open window...

Solution: Add a OnTimer script to refresh ? or a trigger from my main solution that when user navigate thru normal operation, it refresh the calendar at the same time ?? Research on performance will be required... keep you posted !!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:17 am
Hi jffortier,

Thanks for providing the details on how you're making this work!

Just keep in mind that refreshing the calendar using a script will leave the user with the calendar layout in front. There's really no way to get around this, so it would probably be best to initiate the refresh whenever a user navigates to the calendar through the normal operation as you suggested.

Regards,

KC

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker