Best Practices for Split Separation Model

Notes on the new SeedCode Complete template for FileMaker 13
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:51 pm
Deploying SC13 on a server and using WebDirect has been a bit problematic. Performance and compatibility has been the main challenge. Deploying the entire SC13 solution on FM server with WebDirect or as a remote share resulted in a loss of PDF-generated reports which is extremely important to modifications I made to the solution.

So, I took another approach running SeedcodeComplete.fm12 locally with FM client and the other 4 modules (calendar, control, media, model) shared on the server. This solution seems to work well with good performance and stability but I'm having a problem getting the calendar to work properly.

When I click on the calendar menu button the calendar routine fires off and when the calendar is presented the menu buttons on the left-hand side are missing. The calendar doesn't seem to be fully initialized.

missing_buttons.png
missing_buttons.png (50.68 KiB) Viewed 11584 times

What is the best way to fix this problem? How can I fix this by changing the underlying code? Is it possible to move the calendar to the local client and keep calendar data sharable on the server?

Thanks, Ken
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:49 am
The SeedCodeCompleteCalendar file has a reference to the SeedCodeComplete file, which is where the icon images are stored. So if the it isn't hosted on the server with the other files, the buttons won't appear on the calendar. Can you send more info about the "loss of PDF-generated reports" problem you're seeing?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:24 pm
Thanks Jeff. Having all the files on the server performs about the same as splitting them with the main file opened locally.

As for the "loss of PDF-generated reports" I misspoke. All PDF-generated reports work just as well running from the server. Due to FM's limitation PDF's are a problem for me using WebDirect and with runtime solutions.

I haven't tried your PDF solution with SC13 via WebDirect. My experience with WebDirect has so far been problematic. Maybe with future updates from FM things will get better.

My current battle with FM server involves SSL certs. I have an open case with FM but have not found a solution yet. But that's another topic.

Your advice has resolved my issues with running SC13 on FM server.

Many thanks. Ken
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:31 pm
Glad to hear things are mostly working for you now. I agree that Web Direct is largely unsatisfying. Cheers.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:27 pm
Largely unsatisfying is a good way to put it. There was so much promise in WebDirect. I hope one day it will be 100% awesome. You guys did a good job making SC13 work and look great in WebDirect.

Awesome FM solution really. Best I've ever seen. The internal coding is well laid out and very educational. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:02 am
Thanks, Ken! :)

Return to SeedCode Complete 13