Calendar "New Thing"

Notes on the new SeedCode Complete template for FileMaker 13
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:04 am
Hi John and Dan,

I haven't worked out what's the benefit of a "New Thing" (aka new record) in the Calendar?
What does it help me to have another Calendar view record?

Or is it supposed to create a new event?

Same question for the Delete, Find and Sort buttons on the Calendar view layout?
It seems to be rather confusing for new users to have this buttons.

Is there any reason why they are there?

Thanks

Kind regards

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:47 am
Hi Regine,

Great questions -- I believe you are referring to the built-in buttons in the FileMaker toolbar? Since the base table for the calendar layout is the CalendarInterface table, these buttons don't have the same meaning/effect as on an Events layout, for example.

Creating a new record does not benefit you in any way, as most of the fields in the CalendarInterface table are global. Similarly, finds and sorts don't have meaning on the calendar, although you could use custom menu sets to script different actions to these buttons.

Deleting the one interface record, however, will cause DayBack to re-download files that the calendar needs. Because of this, if you have modified the CSS or translation files from the Under the Hood layout, deleting the interface record will cause your modifications to be deleted and overwritten.

You may want to add a Show/Hide Toolbars script step with the options to "Hide" and "Lock" when the calendar file opens. That way, your users won't see or be able to use these buttons.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

All the best,
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:16 pm
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response and the clarification.

Since the Calendar is a separate file I have changed the custom menu that was already existing and removed new, delete etc and also added a hide and lock for the toolbar.

Thanks

kind regards

Regine

Return to SeedCode Complete 13