fmSpark still maintained?

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:23 pm
I have a client that would like a FM add-on like fmSpark, but looking at the version history I see it hasn't been updated since 10/2009. FileMaker has changed a lot in the last 4 years, so it is a little concerning to see this great product has not been touched in that time.

It also makes it hard for me to recommend to a client that they invest in an obsolete or orphaned product.

Any news that may make my client and I feel better about moving forward with fmSpark?

Thank you.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:13 am
Hi Karstyn,

More than what's changed in FileMaker, I think things have changed *around* FileMaker a great deal since Spark was launched. Services like Campaign Monitor, MailChip, and Constant Contact have just gotten better. So if your client is sending bulk mail that's lightly merged (just a couple of merge fields) I'd recommend one of those services.

fmSpark is best for smaller volume mailings with lots of merged text.

It was also kind of ahead of its' time back in 2008 which accounts for why it hasn't been updated much. There are new features I'd like to see--like throttling or receiving mail--but fmSpark still kicks - at its original mission. It's just always been a pretty narrow mission.

So it's definitely still being supported; hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:34 pm
Thanks John.

It is a good product, I integrated it with one client a number of years ago and had a good experience with it. Nice to know it is still being supported, which is great to know, but I still would feel better if it was still being maintained and improved/extended.

Just stumbled onto Mail List Maker which looks promising.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:47 pm
=)

I don't think Proof has plans to make any changes to it soon. This is also worth checking out: http://hbase.net/2010/07/10/mailchimp-i ... maker-pro/
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to fmSpark