Multiple users: Refresh Calendar on Modification?

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:11 am
Hi There,

I’m currently testing out the calendar with multiple users. I’ve noticed that when one user edits a record in the calendar, it refreshes their calendar, but not any of the others’!

This could be problematic if a user keeps their calendar window open (and unrefreshed) whilst working, and relies on the obsolete view of the calendar.

As a quick fix, I made an Auto-Refresh script that is called from the ‘Upon Opening’ script, to run on a timer every 60 seconds. But I am concerned as to how this might affect performance.

I was wondering if anyone has written a more clever solution, perhaps to push a refresh out to every user only when a change is committed? Or generally any advice regarding keeping the calendar up to date without sacrificing performance too much.

I was surprised not to find anything about this in the Documentation, as I thought multiple users were a common requirement- perhaps I’ve just missed the relevant part.
Thanks!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:55 am
"Traditional" FileMaker fields and portals display data dynamically and update in real time. By contrast, the "virtual list" technique that we use to render the calendar views offers more design flexibility and many other functional advantages, but it does require running a refresh script to gather and re-render any updated data from the server. An OnTimerScript like you've set up would give you the auto-update functionality you're looking for, but this might create a nuisance for your users. You'll just have to experiment to find what works best for your users.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:22 pm
This is an old post, but is it still the case ? Or a scrip timer was introduced some time in an update ?

I have searched but could not find it.

I have the same concern, multiple users playing in the calendar and updating it. We use it to place service calls, so it's very important that it's up to date when we schedule or resources on the road.

Thanks,
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:35 pm
Hi jffortier - thanks for asking about this! There have not been any modifications to this behavior in an update. Any time a user changes views, dates, etc, it will update the events for them, but not automatically based on another users edit.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:35 pm
Hi jffortier - thanks for asking about this! There have not been any modifications to this behavior in an update. Any time a user changes views, dates, etc, it will update the events for them, but not automatically based on another users edit.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:21 am
Thanks,

I realize I ended up in that forum after a search, but the original intent was for DayBack calendar version.

Is there any auto refresh when multi user add event from another PC ?

Thanks
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:57 am
Hi jffortier,

While there's nothing built-in to DayBack, you could add this feature with an OnTimer running in the background which checks for some sort of "Refresh" flag.

Basically, each person logged into the solution would have an OnTimer script running at a certain interval to check to see if a flag has been set to refresh the calendar, then if so, it will perform the "Refresh Calendar" script.

When a user modifies an event, the flag (field) would be set to notify the other computers to refresh the calendar automatically.

A simpler method to implement would just to be to refresh each users' calendar at a certain interval, which is discussed in the docs here: https://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.p ... heCalendar

And if you'd like help implementing these changes, we offer implementation packages so we can do some screen-sharing with you, or have you send over the files so we can finish the implementation for you. Packages can be used for consulting, coaching, or modifications like these and start at blocks of 3 hrs for $190/hr. When the time comes, you can use this link and, with a day or two notice, we can schedule some time to work with you:

http://sites.fastspring.com/seedcode/pr ... onpackages

Regards,

KC

Return to SeedCode Calendar