"Communication with the host was interrupted..."

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:57 pm
Hello -

I’ve been adapting Seedcode (Filemaker 11 version), and experimenting with data separation for performance, because I will be having this solution hosted.

I’ve tested it with the Calendar interface stored locally, accessing the events table within a contacts file residing on a hosting service.

It works great - unless my Macbook Pro sleeps and looses it’s connection to the host. I get the message, “Communication with the host was interrupted and could not be re-established. All affected windows will be closed.”

Then the fun starts. Filemaker begins madly OPENING event detail windows as fast as it is able, in a stack, apparently one for every event I’ve created. I have 250 or so dummy events entered, so that’s a stack of 250 windows, all opening in the same location. Of course, the process bogs down as the windows pile up and the shadows around the stack deepen, so it takes some time. Nothing I can find stops it other than a force quit.

This doesn’t happen if the Calendar itself is on the host too - but then there is a significant performance penalty for hosting the whole thing that I would like to avoid.

How can I prevent this?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:00 pm
I've never seen that thing with the windows happen before. But if you're getting that "lost connection to host" message regularly, there must be something wrong with your network. I'd look into that first. You could also add some scripting to prevent more than some number of popup windows from opening, in case that situation comes up again. As for performance, you should upgrade to the FileMaker 13 version of the Pro Calendar if possible. It uses PSOS (Perform Script on Server), which yields much better performance. HTH... Jeff
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:01 pm
Just realized you said the connection is lost when your computer goes to sleep, so it's not a network problem.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:23 pm
Thanks for your quick reply.

This is very reproducible (happens every time.) I let it run its course, and ended up with 288 Event Detail windows, each bearing an ID but displaying <file missing> in all other fields. Happens both on Mac and PC versions of FMP. The madness can be interrupted with Command - . (Mac) or esc (PC).

13 is tempting, but that would require updating ~30 installed copies of FMP 11 to FMP13, a prohibitive expense for a small business, particularly given that FMP 11 otherwise meets our needs nicely.

Thanks again.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:59 am
You should probably add an escape valve for when this happens. You could just add an Exit Loop If condition in the "Display Found Set in Separate Windows" script, something like $c > 10. HTH... Jeff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:33 am
That works beautifully. Also gives me an opportunity to put up a dialog giving instructions to the user.

Thank you!
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:42 am
Excellent!

Return to SeedCode Calendar