Excel style Calendar view?

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:06 pm
Hi,
I'm currently setting up a Roster calendar that will also be used as a Timesheet tool for calculating payroll.

Is it possible to display the calendar in a row/column format like an Excel spreadsheet? We currently use an app Called "Shifty" which displays each day of the month in a separate column along with a row for each employee. Shifty uses just 1 letter of the alphabet to signify which shift somebody is due to work (D = Days, N = Nights etc.) It's quite a compact view but it works really well for our business, can this be done somehow?

Also, where can I find the field that calculates how many hours in duration an event is? I need to use this to calculate employee's pay each month. Please see image below.
12Hours.jpg
12Hours.jpg (38.36 KiB) Viewed 9404 times

Thanks
Brian.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:42 pm
Hi Brian. The event duration (the "12 hours" in your screen shot) isn't coming from a field. It's calculated dynamically by Javascript in the webviewer UI. You could make your own field for this in the SampleEvents table. Just make a calc field that subtracts the start time from the end time, and divide by 3600 (since 1 hour = 60 seconds x 60 minutes).

A table view for the calendar UI isn't really an option in Dayback, as the rendering engine is all in Javascript. You might be able to do something like that in our older Pro Calendar, which is all FileMaker and uses the virtual-list technique. You could probably show that virtual list table ("CalendarRows") in table view and get pretty close to what you're looking for. HTH -Jeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:17 am
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the tip, I created a calc field (DateStart & " " & TimeStart), result = "Timestamp" to account for spanning midnight and did the same for DateEnd and TimeEnd.

A third calc field subtracts the start from the end and divides by 3600 as you suggested, which works great.

I was hoping a simple layout would work for the Table view, as we can currently print 3 months roster on a single sheet of paper.
Brian.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:25 am
I'm glad that worked out with your duration calculation. FYI, you could also use Timestamp (DateStart; TimeStart) to calculate a timestamp. I'm sorry there isn't a simple solution for a table view of the calendar. -Jeff
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:13 am
jeffalmquist wrote:FYI, you could also use Timestamp (DateStart; TimeStart) to calculate a timestamp. -Jeff

Thanks Jeff

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker