Best way to extract records from the ChangeLog Field

Notes on the new SeedCode Complete template for FileMaker 13
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:30 am
Hi Guys,

My company wants to run reports on certain changes in the database. So I was thinking I extract records from the ChangeLog field, but no matter how I export them, they always end up in one long row instead of the tab separation.

I won't need all records, so I need to be able to filter some out. My idea was of ex/importing all records into a separate table and then manipulate them as needed with finds on certain fields.

Do you have a tip for me how I best go about this?

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 am
Hi Regine,

Thank you for the details. We will dig into this subject and get back to you with what we find out.

Best wishes,

Ana
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:17 pm
Hi Regine,

Export scripts in FileMaker are fragile. Instead, I'd suggest you write a script to loop through each line of the audit log and make a new record for it. Then the "export" becomes a series of SetField steps in your script. This way you would have more control over what and when you want to save to your report. You can find a similar use case in our blog post here: https://www.seedcode.com/filemaker-audit-log/

If you don't have time to write that script yourself, I can offer to write that for you as part of an implementation package

We offer implementation packages that start at blocks of 3 hrs for $190/hr. If that seems like it would help, please use this link and we'll schedule something:

http://sites.fastspring.com/seedcode/pr ... onpackages

I hope that helps.

All the best,

Ana
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 pm
Hi Ana,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have now successfully managed to split the log of multiple tables into separate records and then allow for marking errors and running reports.

Thanks again!

Kind regards

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:36 am
That's great, Regine!

Regards,

KC

Return to SeedCode Complete 13