Best Bet way to use a users table from the Corp main file

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:35 am
I am bolting this on a small company system. I have got everything nice.

I have a company table that manages the User name and passwords. Basically its just a duplicate that is created of the FM level users and Passwords. Allowing them to create users. That is working fine. How is the best way get that data to move to FMspark creating the users either on the fly if they hit the fmspark or allow fmspark to get the user detail from the other file?

I hope this makes sense.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:37 am
Hi Scott,

Can I have a few more details please?

Do each of your users have a traditional FileMaker account as well, or do they all share one?

Do you need the users detail IN the mailing, and if so, is this the logged in users details you need?

Thanks,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:48 pm
Do each of your users have a traditional FileMaker account as well, or do they all share one?

Yes each one has a traditional account that is created in the system. When the manager adds a user it creates a system account. We have 3 kinds of account

[Full Access ] Developer only
[Manager] (no access to layouts) Company managers they can add and disable accounts but not delete accounts.
[RPM Data Entry] for general Internal staff.

[WEB Data Entry] for Clients. This is just to allow users to submit a service request form, from the outside via php or IWP. They will not have access to FM spark. Only a select users allowed to do this and each customer must request access to submit this form.

Do you need the users detail IN the mailing, and if so, is this the logged in users details you need?

As long as the user can edit this info in FM SPARK and not pester me or the or a manager that is fine. probably better we dont pass on data now that I think about it. Other wise pass the data that would from my main file to fmspark.

Email address
Mailing address
Phone
Fax
Mobile

Thanks for your help.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:53 am
Thanks. You'll need to create real FileMaker accounts in fmSpark for your users just as you do in your other files. Once you do, as new users log in to fmSpark, new User records will be created for each new account name that logs in. These records are created in a User table in fmSparkData.

Since you already have a user table containing the user's account name, you could add a table occurrence for your user table into fmSparkData and make a relationship from the User table in fmSpark data to the User table in your file: base this relationship on the account name.

Once that relationship is in place you could switch the fmSparkData user fields for email address, mailing address, etc. to be unstored calcs referencing the parallel values in your file. No double entry, no problems.

The only thing to keep in mind is that as these User records are created automatically in fmSpark then inherit the mail account settings from the Default Mail Account Settings (in fmSpark / Settings / Defaults). If these values work for all users then you're all set. If they don't you'd normally have to edit the individual mail account settings for each user: to get around this you could add these values to YOUR users table as well, and make them unstored calcs just as you do the email address and physical address described above.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:39 pm
I case anyone asks this again.

I have created a Portal in the FMSpark and SMSparkData that looks at a new table in a new table that I copied over from the users Table of my original system.

The Portal is pointed to my table in the oringinal system and list all users with a button that creates a FM account.

Script calculates
Sets access to "Yes" in my main table
Grabs Username from related portal row in maintable
Sets User name in In new table.
Sets secret password
Sets Access to User
Commits record and creates FM access

Repeats in FMSparkData setup.
I have a conditional field that shows me if the accounts have been added to my main account manager. with a green light for ok Yellow for not.

User Navigation
Now users have a single user login and Password to the main file I have scripted the navigation button to

Navigation Script modified in appropriate place to
Grab logged in user name to main system
Relogin into FMSpark
Set user Name
Set the Secret Password
Performed with out dialog

This way I am able to control access to users with out them having direct access to FMSpark.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:46 pm
Login is not quite there.

Button on main file
Copy Command and Copies the content from the User name.
the performs " Open fmSpark ( ) " from the FM Spark file.

I have edited the " Open fmSpark ( ) "

goto to Logging in Layout
Enter browsmode
adjust to fit
Past into a global field
Relogin with data from the global field Hard Keyed Secret Password

These steps have been done these steps at the very beginning of the script and after running the $$hasRunOpen step. The results are the same.

Stage 1
First time I click It gives me a Login Screen with no information
If I say load it with a generic admin login that is fine logs in as this account. It is not passing the Login
I then quit the window.

Stage 2
If I click the button at this point it works
Voila it works Logs me in as the proper account and does what it supposed to.

Stage 3
If I for some reason close the FM spark screen and try and relogin again
it passes the data to the database but it wont show me logged in as User that is blank.

At this Point I have to go back to stage 1 by quiting the main file. and retart FM.

This seems to be the same when on the server or on my local desktop.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:53 am
Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting these details. I'm having a hard time following precisely what his happening, but I might make a couple observations.

I don't think the scripted re-login in fmSpark is the way to go here. As you've seen, there are a lot of issues with opening and closing files. And it seems like the kind of thing that will be forever fragile.

It would likely be more productive to script the creation of user accounts (not user records) in fmSpark and fmSparkData. This way you can take advantage of fmSpark's built in creation of user records and simply change the email and other fields in fmSpark's user records to calculate the email address and other values from the matching user record in your file.

Hope that helps,
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to fmSpark