send email to multiple contacts from specific email address

General support questions.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:47 am
Hi

We are relatively new to Seedcode Calendar Complete and in the process of setting up our database. When it becomes live, we will send an email to all our contacts.

I've managed to get my head round how to do this; changed a few of the merge fields & adapted a few "Calc" fields to suit our needs etc. However in my test runs, the email is sent from my (personal) default email address. Is there a script I can write (or even a simple box I can tick that I haven't discovered yet) to choose which email address to send the mailing from?

In the next few weeks the database will be hosted on a server. Will multiple emails be sent from the server's default email address or the default email address of the workstation sending the email?

Many thanks in advance - cr
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:06 am
Hi CR,

Thanks for the questions.

You're right that out of the box, SeedCode Complete sends mail through the user's mail client using the default from address. This will continue once you place the files on your sever: the client is still sending the mail.

You have two options to change this behavior.

You can use a mail plugin like SMTPit instead of FileMaker's send mail script step. The plugin will let you send the mail directly through your mail server (not your mail client) while letting you specify which "from" account to use. SeedCode Complete has some code already in place for sending mail with SMTPit as we use that when sending HTML emails.

Or, if you're using FileMaker 10, you can take advantage of some changes to the send mail script step. In FM10 you can now elect to send mail from your email client or from your mail server, and when sending through the server you can specify the sender's name, email address, and reply address via calcs in the script or calcs in your file.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:07 am
John, thank you for your prompt reply.

Been a bit occupied with other things but we're back on the case of this now.

We do have Filemaker 10. Your paragraph in response to my original query:

"Or, if you're using FileMaker 10, you can take advantage of some changes to the send mail script step. In FM10 you can now elect to send mail from your email client or from your mail server, and when sending through the server you can specify the sender's name, email address, and reply address via calcs in the script or calcs in your file."

.. how do I elect to specify the sender's name, email address & reply address for bulk mailings?

Many thanks

CR
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:19 am
cr1408 wrote:... how do I elect to specify the sender's name, email address & reply address for bulk mailings?

Add the SendMail script step to your script and then click Specify... At the top of the Send Mail Options screen you'll see options to "Send Via"... select SMTP server (and click click Specify again) to see options for the user name, email address and reply to address. You'll share these settings across all the emails send in this one step.

If each email needed its own reply to address then you'd need to loop and send individual emails instead of using the "multiple emails" option in this script step.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support