Auto Sort when opening fmSpark for the first time every day

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:33 pm
Hi John

Every day, when I first open fmSpark via the script "Create letter for CONTACT" it performs a Sort before it actually shows the Template window.

It sorts through around 2500 records and it takes quite a while and is very annoying.
Even with Script Debug, I have not been able to find out, where this sort is coming from and what it actually sorts?

We have only around 250 templates, so it can't be that.
I looked through the fmSpark Data file and the only table with around 2500 records is the Merge Expression table.

Please can you tell, how I can turn off the sort if it is not essential? If the sort is only for the Merge Fields, I would rather have it attached to the Merge Field button and sort only when it is necessary.

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:25 pm
Hi Regine,

I'm looking into this, but having added 3000 records to my MergeExpressions table I don't get a sort showing up. (Are you opening fmSpark from a remote server?) Would you be able to post the contents of your "Create letter for CONTACT" script?

Thanks,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
Proof Group
Proof Group
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:33 pm
take a quick look at your 'recent message/batch' screen. Do you have many hanging out there?
Ernest Koe
The Proof Group LLC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:36 pm
Hi John and Ernest

I think the recent mailing maybe the problem. We actually do not use this feature.

I just looked into the layout and there are already over 2300 letters just for myself.
Obviously I am doing a lot of testing without actually completing the letter, so around 1500 are drafts.

I guess I need to write a script to get the Drafts removed every now and then, but that would still leave the sorting for the real letters?
I already removed the sort criteria in the _Draft Table, but that did not make a difference.

Any more ideas, how I can stop the sorting?

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:57 am
Hi. I think deleting your drafts is important; then you can use the checkbox at the top of the portal (leaving it blank) to remove completed mailings from this list (so it only shows recent drafts) and you'll be set.

There is another sort in fmSpark's relationship graph between _User and _BATCH, but I can't say that removing that sort won't break something. Maybe Ernest can comment on that. I'd focus on deleting the drafts.

And I'd asked if you were opening this from a remote server--I ask because I haven't heard anyone mention this sorting thing before and we have customers with a *lot* of mailings. Can you let me know if that is the case?

Thanks,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:35 am
Hi John

Thanks for the information.
I realized after I had posted my message, that I forgot to answer your question.

Yes, we running all files on FileMaker Server and I think it is particular a problem for myself, when I login via VPN over the internet. In the office over the network it does not seem to affect the user as much.
I just delete my 1500 drafts and had 990 completed letters left.
When I logged fresh into the database, it sorted the 990 records. So it is definitely related to this feature.

I will write a script which deletes them every now and then.

Kind regards

Regine

Return to fmSpark