Automatic template selection

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:27 am
Hi guys - does anyone know of an easy way to automatically select a template and apply it to a given found set (by easy, I mean without trawling through the scripts and passing parameters)?

For example if I frequently print invoices, is there anyway that fmspark can run through the entire template selection / printing process automatically and just print out the invoice?

I love the document selection process that fmspark provides but having the facility to print a template with fewer clicks would be handy.

Cheers.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:01 am
Hi there,

You can use a built-in function to tell fmSpark which template you're interested in when you click the button to send a mail to the found set.

There is actually an example of this in the Sample Contacts file that ships with fmSpark: click on the "Admissions" tab on the sample contacts screen and you'll see a couple buttons to send an "Application Acknowledgement" letter. These buttons call the script "Create Mailing for One Record ( templateKey* )" which you should have already imported into your file. This script takes a single script parameter, the "template key" or abbreviation of the template you want to use for this mailing.

So just assign your template a Template Key on in the Templates tab of fmSpark's Settings screen and then use that key in this "Create..." script and you'll be sent right to the preview stage in fmSpark without having to select a template. Then all you have to do is click "print".

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:17 am
Hi John, yes that does indeed help because it does exactly what I was after :)

I would say that this probably lends itself to either a carbon or RTFM error.

Probably both.

Many thanks for getting back so quickly.

Return to fmSpark