Can't Modify

General support questions.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:01 pm
I have just converted a large version 6 file to 10 and it is working well and hope to rewrite it in the near future. ( I am new to version 10) We went from 52 files down to 20 converted files and 4 new files(including using Seed Calendar.)

But in the mean time I am getting the occasional cannot modify and being used in a different window.

What should I be looking for to fix?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:35 am
Congrats on your rewrite: that's a big job.

Make sure you include a commit record step in window A before opening a record or related record in window b. In portals this can sometimes require something like this:

Set Variable [$Row ; Get ( PortalRow )]
Commit Record
Go To Portal Row [$Row]
Go To Related Record, etc.

The variable thing is so the commit doesn't take your focus off the portal row you're editing.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:03 am
Thanks .

So far it is only a partial rewrite of 16 years of work from version 2.1 through 6.

What about if the step to file B goes via a script ? Do I close the first window before opening the new window ?

In the past I simply ran an external script and did not worry about it at all, which was likely a bad technique.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:47 am
Hi,

The record lock issue isn't so much about closing windows as about committing your changes in one window before working with the record in another.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to General Support