Bulk Emails with individual attachment?

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:49 am
Hi There

I need to send a large amount of email with an individual attachment to each email. The attachments are also coming out of the database, so I could either create them upfront or during the bulk mail process.

Has anybody written a script to attach automatically individual pdfs and mail it in bulk?

Thanks

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:41 am
Hey there,

This is pretty easy to do in regular old FileMaker with a loop that a) makes the pdf using a $$Variable as the file name/path and b) then sends an email using $$Variable as the attachment.

fmSpark was designed to send one attachment to all recipients of a mailing, but I imagine the guys from Proof could modify the send mail routines to look for a specific attachment path per recipient. Let me know if you'd like to look into that further.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:53 am
Hi John

Thanks for your reply. It would be awesome, if the guys from Proof could modify the script.

I have to send out quite a lot of individual attachments and I am so not looking forward to do this manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:13 am
OK. I'll ask the folks at Proof about this and one of us with be in touch directly.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 am
I too have a need for this...my client would like to send an individually barcoded coupon through MailMerge...

So far our thoughts has been along the lines of using IDautomation to create a barcode image based on a concantenation of the client's ID and the current date...etc

We'd like to be able to insert that coupon into the HTML of their newsletter and send an individual barcode to each client in their list.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 am
Hi there. This is a custom mod that Proof can get you a quote for. Send me a note (john at seedcode.com) and I'll put you in touch.

Thanks.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:08 pm
I have solved my problem by having a separate "create mail" button.

I duplicated all the scripts needed to create an email from the first step of select a template to the last step of sending it.
Then I added all the information the user would need to do into the scripts and took out all the pause steps and added all scripts in the right order into my main Create email script. So that a single button creates the email with a specific template, attaches the relevant PDF and sends it.

For the individual PDf attachment I have a script that creates the PDF with the contact ID as file name in the temporary folder on the computer and have a script to automatically pick the attachment with a variable of the contact ID from there in the process of creating the email.

The main script create mail is then further packed into a loop to go through a group of contacts.
First you create the PDF, then you run the create email script, then go to next client.

You probably can do something similar with attaching an image.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards

Regine

Return to fmSpark