local hosting of FmMap

General support questions.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 am
Is it possible to host map locally? :IE

localhost/htdocs/custommap.php

as opposedto
http://etc.proofgroup.com/maps/fmMap_tr ... glemap.php

I want to attempt to have a "feed map" with filters / each layer has markers with different icon style

/ or should filtering be by FM "found set" alone and every mkr has icon url assigned as part of mkr record.

ideally each marker info window would include "edit" button enabling draggable(1)
and a "done" button that updates FM marker record ( of found set displayed)
each marker record has lat & lon fields
Proof Group
Proof Group
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:58 pm
Hi Tom,

This is Mike, I wrote fmMap...

I originally tried to map locally (this goes back a couple versions of FileMaker), but had trouble with the Map API Key--it wouldn't validate when opening local files. I went with a server-based approach as a second option. Server based gives some added benefits, but it's also more difficult to set up (if you want your own server). The Web Viewer in newer versions of FileMaker may behave differently and allow this to work.

Things may be different now (i.e., local files may work), but I don't have any plans (e.g., time/resources) at the moment to put towards rev'ing fmMap to support this new mode.

As far as custom markers and draggability, etc., currently the server-based API doesn't support that (only because the API I exposed doesn't support it). If things were local, you'd have greater control of those sorts of things. Ultimately, anything that you'd find on the coolest Google Map Mashup site ought to be possible within the Web Viewer, but not at the moment.

A couple suggestions, notes:

* Google "Google Map Mashup" or "Google Map API Examples" and take a look at some examples. In particular, look at the source code. See if you can save the file (via save source) to a local file and open it within a Web Viewer. Then, perhaps you can create the source yourself using an appropriate combination of scripts and calculations--save the contents to the tmp directory to open in the Web Viewer for example. Still, this would require the Web Viewer to be able to successfully show the locally-stored map file--which it certainly may at this point.

* Keep lobbying your local representative (er, Proof) to revise fmMap to include advanced functionality such as you require. I'm in charge of the steering committee for fmMap, so your current request is duly acknowledged. I swear, I would love to rev fmMap the moment I get a chance.

If you think there's something I'm missing, let me know. Thanks for taking fmMap for a spin.

Cheers,
Mike

----

Mike Lee
Proof Group
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:07 am
Mike,
Thanks for your reply... I'll keep mashing on my own. I'm still just getting my familiarity with java tools. There sure is a lot of map classes (java). I'm currently fooling with NetBeans / MAMP on Mac. I'm overwhelmed with choices. The trick, presumably php, of pushing notification of a marker drag/move to FM is challenging. .. 360works ... AppleScript? Local or cloud? Do I really need to start a server, load markers from local file or have data available sitting in the cloud. [pacbell or .mac] It took a while for me to even realize I needed MAMP.
:
Any way, thanks for all ... Fmsearchresults is brilliant... Looking forward to fooling with Zulu.
Tom
Proof Group
Proof Group
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 am
Tom,

PHP is what I've used internally here. Adapting the code to 360Works (Groovy) or Applescript or straight JavaScript might be possible. If you want to stick with PHP, check out the excellent Scodigo SmartPill PHP plugin for FileMaker. It can execute PHP directly within FileMaker--no external server required.

Micah Woods (from Scodigo) did a session with me at Pause on Error, Portland 2010 where he and I explored two different techniques to create Maps inside of FileMaker. Load that page and scroll down til you find the Google Mapping session. Video is available.

Hope that helps. Thanks for the kind words.

Cheers,
Mike Lee
Proof Group

Return to General Support