Count selected days in calendar

Integrating and modifying Proof's amazing mini-calendar.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:19 am
Hi,

I am creating a rental database and looking to use your calendar to display / select the rental dates. I downloaded the trial and it looks like its exactly what I am looking for except I cannot tell if I will be able to get a count of the selected days from your calendar?

What I mean by this is the user is going to enter a start date and an end date in 2 fields. From these 2 fields on the calendar I need it to display all of the days between the 2 dates selected except some times Saturday or Sunday’s wont be selected. This will depend on a different field that will be set to 7, 6 or 5. 6 being not to include Sunday's 5 not including Saturday or Sunday.

I also have a database of holidays not to charge for so these days will also not be selected if within the selected date range.

Now after this the user will be able to view the calendar and if there is a day that the customer is not going to be charged for be able to click on the day and unselect it setting a field with a count of the selected days.

Please let me know if this is something your calendar will be able to do.

Thank you,
Aaron
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:15 pm
Hi Aaron,

Yes.

Simply getting the number of dates selected is pretty simple: ValueCount ( $$__NinjaCalSelectedList )

But running that against a list of holidays and a not including weekends is different. You might be better served to make a small script that loops through $$__NinjaCalSelectedList, and checks each date to see if it should be counted: is it a weekend (and is your setting set to count weekends), and is it a member of your list of holidays.

Hope that helps.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:26 pm
Hi John,

Thank you for the reply, I alreaedy have a field that calculates the working days taking into count the weekends and holidays.

To calculate the holidays I have a relationship with the start and end date and it then checks how many related records were found. The problem now is displaying this to the user on a calendar and if posible allowing them to add and remove a day by clicking on it..

Do you think this is something that NinjaCal can do?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:31 pm
Yes, NinjaCal can display any list of dates you send it:

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... htingDates

Then users clicking on additional days will add / remove them from the selection.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:18 pm
Hi John,

From what your saying NinhaCal should do exactly what I am looking for? I can provide it a date range and a list of holidays and weekends to exclude? and the user can then click on dates to add or remove a day and then NinjaCal can provide a count of the selected days?

If I purchase it and can't get it to do all this do you provide a refund?

Thank again,
Aaron
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:44 pm
I think you're reading a bit much into my post Aaron. =) NinjaCal, can display a list of dates you send it as described in the article linked to above: but it would be on you to send it a list already scrubbed of weekends and holidays.

Once those dates are showing, NinjaCal will let users click on dates to select or de-select them: again, it would be up to you to modify the script so that if they click to add a weekend or holiday you prevent that from being added.

So, yes, NinjaCal can do what you're talking about, but it doesn't out of the box. And while I appreciate the question about refunds, we can't offer refunds solely because you can't mod NinjaCal the way you want. We don't know what your scripting skills are, what you *really* need it to do, etc. NinjaCal is a head start for your development: it won't do everything you need without some tweaks... but that's why we use FileMaker, right?

As Ernest says, "it's a Ninja, not a god".

Let me know if you have more questions.
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to NinjaCal