Automatic print of attachments when printing a letter

Support, Tips and Tricks for Proof Group's fmSpark "merge anything" utility for FileMaker Pro.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:03 pm
Hi John and Jason,

I was wondering if you have any tips and tricks on this topic.
My client has got a number of letters that have specific attachments and in order for the user not to manually find the attachment somewhere and print it, I had the idea to attach the file directly to the letter similar like an email attachment.

I thought I could re-use the Image section and instead of inserting a picture inserting a file. So far so good, but I am a bit stuck with how I get the PDF printed after the letter printed.

Is there a way of printing directly out of a container field?
I have searched the net, but I couldn't find anything helpful and as I know you guys are pretty amazing in coming up with fantastic solutions, I thought I post the question.

I know I can export the content to a temporary path and open the file, but I would rather prefer to print directly out of Filemaker.

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards

Regine
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:37 am
Hi Regine,

Interesting! I don't know of any way to print a pdf right out of a container field. One approach you could try is rather than try to print it, you could create the letter as a pdf, export the attachment pdf, and then use a plug-in to stitch them together. That way you'd have them as a single pdf, but that's all I can think of.

Here's a method I know is well thought of:

http://www.filemakermagazine.com/videos ... ethod.html

hth,
Jason
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:51 am
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your response.

I have solved it at the moment in the way, that after the print of the letter it exports and opens the attachment PDF automatically. A message just before tells the user, that the attachment is opened in an external application and needs to be printed.

If I come up with anything else I will let you know.

Kind regards

Regine

Return to fmSpark