events showing up on iCal, but not Google

Mods, Tips, Tricks, and Support for Zulu
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 am
We are experiencing problems with some events created in FileMaker showing up only in iCal, but not Google. It is not all programs and cannot figure out what would cause some of them to work and not others. We tried refreshing the Google calendar but that did not seem to work. Any ideas?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 am
Hi Tasmyn,

I'm not sure what you mean by all programs. Basically the calendars should be attached to the paired account or not, so I could use some more info.

Are you getting errors when you do the Google Sync?

Let me know,
-Jason
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am
I should have said "all events". So, the problem is that when we enter an event in FileMaker, it will sometimes show up in iCal, but not Google. The problem is not consistent, which is making it more difficult to figure out what is going on.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:43 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the additional info. The events will show up in Google based on when the sync runs, and that interval is set up on the zulu/admin page, so it might be a timing issue.

If they're never showing up, then it could be an error with the sync, but that would also show up in red as an error at the top of the admin page. Are you seeing any errors there? If so, the Google sync is more sensitive to error than iCal as there are two separate data sources being kept in sync, so once there's an error you usually need to start Google over by doing a Google reset to get it going again:

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... oogleReset

Please let me know if that helps,
-Jason
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:39 am
Thanks for the response. It's not a timing issue because those events never showed up, even when we manually did a refresh from FileMaker. We did a reset about a month ago when we were experiencing a different problem (multiple copies of the same calendar). There were no errors showing up on the admin page either. Seems a bit troubling to have to do another reset, especially since this has been a recurring issue. I suspect there may be something else going on. any ideas?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 pm
Hi Tasmyn,

Thanks. We haven't run into a situation before where events weren't making it to Google without errors, so not sure what's happening. Can you tell me what you mean by refreshing from FileMaker? Do you mean resetting the zulu_ModificationTimestamp? That's a good call, as that's what Zulu uses to determine if things need to be updated in ical or Google, but wanted to confirm that's what you meant.

With older versions of Zulu we had a situation where if folks had the auto-sync set to frequently and lots of sync activity, then they would start to stack up and cause the sync to stop, but that's all I can think of.

Can you tell me which version of Zulu You're on?

Also, what you have your auto-sync set to now?

And, from the zulu/admin page the top part will show when the last sync completed, so make sure that looks right based on your auto-sync setting, or if it's older than it should be.

The next thing I would try is to switch the sync to manual rather than auto, then update the zulu_ModificationTimestamps of the events that aren't showing up. If there's no errors, then it should list all the updated events at the bottom of the page. If ones that you're expecting aren't there, then send me the error log using the link at the upper right, and that could tell me why they didn't go across.

Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:04 pm
Thanks for the response. I will get back to you with the version of zulu, frequency of auto-sync and check the date of the last auto-sync on Monday. I appreciate your help with this.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:29 pm
Hi Jason-
I have some answers for you:

When we "refresh" we are replacing the field contents that sorts to the various google calendars. We are using version 1.316 of Zulu. Our auto-sync was set to 20 seconds, but we switched it to manual today and now we cannot get it to switch back to auto-sync. We were showing an error with the auto-sync, which I will send using the error long, but when we tried to manually sync, we got an error that just said, "internal error". We had that problem before which somehow went away once we brought it to Angelo's attention but do not know how to make it go away now.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:14 pm
Hi Tasmyn,

Is this hosted with Foxtail?

I'm pretty sure Foxtail doesn't allow for auto-syncs that frequently. I think 900 (15 minutes) is his minimum. 20 seconds is pretty aggressive and can cause problems if the sync itself takes longer than that, i.e. they can start to stack.

Also, I'm pretty sure he has the send log function disabled, but he should be able to let me know what the error is, so I would check with him.

Do you have iCal/CalDAV set up as well, and is that working ok? If it is, then Zulu should be working fine and doing a Google Reset should get you back on track.

Let me know if that helps,
-Jason
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:58 am
yes. it's hosted on Foxtail. I forgot that was a separate entity. iCal seems to be working okay. So, you think we need to another reset, right? I will have someone here change the auto-sync to 15 minutes. Last night we tried to do a manual sync and after 45 minutes, it was still chugging along. we finally gave up. I started another manual sync about 20 minutes ago and it is still churning as well. You are right that I could not find the error log, but we took a screen shot of it which I am unable to paste here. It said: "Sep't 29 1:53:18 PDT 2012: Sync failed: java.sql.SQL Exception: There does not seem to be a web server running at http://10.1.38.111.Check to make sure that Apach ro IIS is running on the web publishing Engine" I have no idea what any of that means, but that's what it says.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 am
Hi Tasmyn,

Something doesn't seem right here and we should check with Angelo/Foxtail.

http://10.1.38.111.check/ looks like a local server and not one of Foxtails.

Plus I don't think Foxtail allows you to control the auto-sync, so if you can, I think there might be something else going on here.

I'll try to ping Angelo at Foxtail and see if he can help.

-Jason
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:43 am
okay. would it be possible to arrange a phone call with us? The person on my staff who is more knowledgeable than me about this is also telling me that we were having the syncing issues before we switched the sync settings. Also--i was not able to perform a manual sync and eventually received an error saying that the "connection attempt to zulufmsdb.com was rejected"
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:07 am
Hi Tasmyn,

I heard from Foxtail, and they says your sync completed successfully. I would get in contact with them if you're still having trouble. As a hosting company, they do not have the typical set-up and they really need to be in the support loop here. He'll bug me with questions as needed.

It sounds like you were able to get around his auto-sync minimum and that caused the hang-up on the syncing. I would ask them about this as well, but I would set it to 900 seconds if you go to the auto-sync.

Thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:12 pm
We also saw that it finally synced. I am a bit skeptical that the timing of the syncing was the complete issue, since we were having this issue before when it was supposed to be syncing every 900 seconds, but it seems to be working at the moment. We'll keep it at the 900 seconds and keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:20 pm
Sounds good.

Thanks!
Next

Return to Zulu: iCal Server for FileMaker