Distribution of a new mobile file

Help, Tips, and Tricks for deploying GoZync: our "sync" engine for FileMaker Go.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 am
Hello,

we have developed a Filemaker Solution wich uses GoZync to sync the edited records in the mobile files with our hosted file. For testing we have purchased one MoZync License. This works fine, thank you for this great solution! In last state our solution will be used on up to 50 mobile Devices (iPad´s). Now we are looking for an easy way to distribute new mobile file´s on all mobile devices. If possible, all mobile users should be notified within FM Go when a new file is available. Downloading the file should be done by pressing one button.

Do you have any suggestions for me how to do that?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Torsten Schulz
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 am
Hi Torsten,

Thanks for posting this. Yes we have some documentation for this here:

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... obileFiles

Let me know if that helps or if you have any other questions.

-Jason
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 am
Hi Jason,

thanks for your reply.

I have a question about the documentation for distributing mobile files.

There is written;

Preparing a new file for your mobile users.

When you've got a new version ready for your users, run the script "Zync - Prep and Upload New File" that you imported into your file as part of the integration process

Ok, i have a new version ready for my users. Now i try to run the script "Zync - Prep and Upload New File", but this message appears: "You can´t run the script when the file is hosted". This is disturbing! :-) I am editing my hole FM databases with FM Pro 12 Advanced on a Windows 7 PC. The DB´s are hosted by FM Server 12 Advanced. , so i work with the DB´s remotely. This means that my "master" mobile file is "hosted" respectively stored on the FM Server. It has to be distributed from there.

EDIT: Ok, i have to close the mobile file on FM Server an download it to my PC. Now the script complains; "The Build Number can´t be incremented. Are you sure you added the GZ Table to this file". The GZ Table is there, what can be an other reason for this message?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:23 am
Hi Torsten,

There are a few functions in FileMaker that don't work on hosted files: save a compacted copy is one of them. So you'll need to close the database on the server and pull down a local copy prior to prepping it for download. You can also run a backup schedule and pull down a recent backup if that's easier.

You need to have both GoZyncMobile and YourMobileFile local for the prep. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

The other thing having them local accomplishes is that it makes sure the External Data Source reference in GoZyncMobile can actually see the hosted files.

I hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:14 am
Hi John,

i have my mobile file and the GoZyncMobile file local, but running the script Zync - Prep and Upload New File still results in "The Build Number can´t be incremented. Are you sure you added the GZ Table to this file". How mentioned before, the gz table is there. GoZyncMobile can see the hosted files. What can be the reason for this?

EDIT: I found the reason, the gz table had to be specified in the script "...Prep and Upload...". Now the distribution of a new mobile file works. Sadly not so comfortalbe as i expected, but still adequate.

The planned sync process works now, thanks to GoZync. Now we have to solve a last problem regarding to FileMaker itself. When this is done, we will purchase the additional licences for our solution.

Many thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Torsten
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:56 pm
Hi Torsten,

We throw that error if we can't set the field MetaData in the table GZ you pasted into their file.

>It could be that the field isn't there

>The logged in user doesn't have permission to set it because "any new table" was set to not being able to modify in the privilege set you're using.

>The field reference in the script is broken because the script was pasted in before the table was. The part of the script is highlighted below, so take a look there:

script.png
script.png (136.9 KiB) Viewed 5030 times

Let us know if that helps.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 pm
Hello Jason,

as mentioned above, i was able to solve it. The field reference in the script was not set.

Unfortunately i have still another problem. The Script "Prep and Upload New File" runs without an error, but the build number becomes not incremented. What can be the reason for that? Do you need any further Information?

Thanks in advance,

Torsten
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:38 am
Hi Torsten,

Probably have the same thing going on in the calculation a few lines up from where you're setting the field in the calculation that sets $NoResult here:

Script.png
Script.png (68.91 KiB) Viewed 5020 times

it should look like this and my guess is that the gz::MetaData reference is broken:

Calc.png
Calc.png (71.21 KiB) Viewed 5020 times

Those are the only two gz references in this script.

FileMaker is touchy about it's dependencies. So if you paste in script that references a field/table/layout that's not there it breaks and stays broken even if the missing piece is added back in later.

Let me know if that's the issue here.

Thanks!

Return to GoZync