Need help with passwords adn multiple files.

General support questions.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:32 am
Hello,

I am running one Master Database with 7 related Databases it pulls information from.

In order to set passwords for user access (16users), do I have to setup the passwords in each database independently? Is there a way to set it on the Master and it translate to the other 7?

I have to restrict my users to basic data entry, but I want it to happen to the Master plus the 7.

Thank for your time, interest and help.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:08 am
Hi. There is no way, currently, to move account information in 7 from one file to another. New Millennium has a plugin for doing this in FileMaker 6, but their version for FileMaker 7 isn't available yet.

While in general you're right that you need to have the same account information in each file, there are some exceptions to this. For instance, you can sometimes have simpler account information in your interface files that in your data files- or at least the accounts in your interfaces files are often associated with simpler privilege sets. For instance, if you have information in portal and you wish logged in users to be able to only see their own records in that portal, you can accomplish this with limited access in the data file, while the interface file containing the portal doesn't necessarily need to know anything about it.

I guess that is more of an aside than a suggestion. ;-)
John Sindelar
SeedCode
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:23 am
You might check out this related post by Alex Z in our Custom Functions forum: http://www.seedcode.com/support/viewtopic.php?t=350
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:11 am
FMPNoob wrote:I have to restrict my users to basic data entry, but I want it to happen to the Master plus the 7.

Create the following two scripts in your Master db:
    Add Account (Name, Password, Privilege)
Code: Select all
If [ MiddleValues ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; 3 ; 1 ) = "[Data Entry Only]¶" ]

Add Account [ Account Name: Substitute ( MiddleValues ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; 1 ; 1 ) ; "¶" ; "" );

Password: Substitute ( MiddleValues ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; 2 ; 1 ) ; "¶" ; "" );

Privilege Set: "[Data Entry Only]" ]

Else If [ MiddleValues ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; 3 ; 1 ) = "[Read-Only Access]¶" ]

Add Account [ Account Name: Substitute ( MiddleValues ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; 1 ; 1 ) ; "¶" ; "" );

Password: Substitute ( MiddleValues ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; 2 ; 1 ) ; "¶" ; "" );

Privilege Set: "[Read-Only Access]" ]

Else If [... /* You'll need to create Else If[] statement for every Privilege Set. */

Delete Account (Name)
Delete Account [ Account Name: Get ( ScriptParameter ) ]

Then, just import these two script from the Master db to the others.

Now, you can use this custom function to add or delete accounts:
Set Field [ PluginResultGlob ; PerformScript (

DatabaseNames ;

"Add Account (Name, Password, Privilege)" ;

<AccountName> & "¶" &
<AccountPassword> & "¶" &
<PrivilegeSetName>

)

Set Field [ PluginResultGlob ; PerformScript (

DatabaseNames ;