LayoutID for Navigation

General support questions.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:59 am
Currently I use layout names for navigation. The layout names are entered in a global repeating field. I have one script that includes a go to layout name by calculation. Each button includes a script param that indicates which rep to use when the button is clicked ie which layout to nav to. Works like a charm. The only thing is, while simple, this method does require some maintenance should a layout name be changed.

So I thought, if I was to use layout iternal IDs for naviagtion instead of layout names, there would be no need for any maintenance at all save for the initial entry of IDs.

I can derive the layout IDs but the tricky part is the Go to Layout script step. There is no way to specify to go to LAYOUT ID by calculation.

Keep in mind, I am talking about Layout IDs, not layout numbers.

Any ideas?
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:04 pm
Well since you can test for layout IDs, you could loop to see if the current layout ID matched the desired one, but that is kind of lame.

We used to use layout numbers because in FM6 you could not change the sort order of layouts while a File was served, so these changed less than layout names.

We're using layout names now and I think that is about as good as it gets, but I'd be interested to hear what others think.
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:07 pm
John:
Thanks for replying. At present I do agree with you about layout names being the best option, and as I said before, that is my curren methodology.

This may all be mute anyway since the calc I am using to calculate the ID can't be stored. Think about it; I would have to go to the layout to get the the ID and that defeats the purpose. I am a terrier though so I may just come up with an answer yet :wink:

Return to General Support