Scheduling Edition

General support questions.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:58 am
I have the scheduling edition working with my database of instructors and classes. I'm using the scheduling template to create appointments for each class. Here are some roadblocks I've run into:

1. Repeating appointments - I would like each repetition to copy information from the client, description, title, time fields from the original appointment. At the moment, I'm just getting blank fields with the exception of the start date. It's probably a matter of updating a script, but I haven't had much luck doing this.

2. Conflicting appointments - I would like to know if a new appointment conflicts with an appointment already input. We schedule classes in resources (rooms), so I need to know if I schedule an appointment in a resource that is already being used on that date and during that time frame.

3. I would like to use the schedule tab to view appointments by room, however, I'm having trouble making this work since I've related the database to my own database. I do not have the field "apptdisplayonscheduletrimmed" in my own database because of the CCHardwrap function. Since this is a custom function, filemake did not recognize it from my own database.

Well, I've written a lot. Everything else is working great so far. Getting this last bit to work the way I'd like it to would just be the icing on the cake.

Thanks.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:24 am
Hi. Thanks for the detailed post.

Commed2 wrote:1. Repeating appointments - I would like each repetition to copy information from the client, description, title, time fields from the original appointment. At the moment, I'm just getting blank fields with the exception of the start date. It's probably a matter of updating a script, but I haven't had much luck doing this.

This is a bit surprising since our Create Repetitions script uses Duplicate Record/Request (lines 34 and 49) to create the repetitions. This keeps all your appointment info intact. Are you using this Create Repetitions script more or less intact?

Commed2 wrote:2. Conflicting appointments - I would like to know if a new appointment conflicts with an appointment already input. We schedule classes in resources (rooms), so I need to know if I schedule an appointment in a resource that is already being used on that date and during that time frame.

This is built into the calendar, search the calendar's FAQ for "conflict" and read the entry titled "How Are Conflicts Displayed On the Calendar?". The "Going Further" section of this post discusses testing for conflicts during record creation.

Commed2 wrote:3. I would like to use the schedule tab to view appointments by room, however, I'm having trouble making this work since I've related the database to my own database. I do not have the field "apptdisplayonscheduletrimmed" in my own database because of the CCHardwrap function. Since this is a custom function, filemake did not recognize it from my own database.

Well if you have FileMaker Advanced you can get HardWrap from our custom functions forum. If you don't, there isn't much to do since it is a recursive function and can't be replicated in a normal calculation. You could check out this thread that described a way to display appts without the harwrap (hardwrap is slow, so a lot of users remove it).

If you're having trouble getting the appointments to show up at all, remember they need to have both a Resource and a Start Time in order to show up on the sheduling tab. Other than that, if the value list "Resources Filtered" shows your room numbers (you'll need to drop that on the scheduling layout to see it) you should be all set.

Glad to hear it is working well for you!
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:34 am
Thanks for the help. I've got the repeating appointments question cleared up. I had to adjust how the database was relating to my own database.

The rest is starting to come together. Thanks again.

Return to General Support