Make contacts private or public for multiple users

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:38 am
Is there an option to configure making/tagging contacts as "private" or "public" for other users to not see or see/edit.

Thanks.
myseed
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:08 am
Hi there,

You can use some of FileMaker's built in access controls to do this. Check out the section "How Do I Let a User See Only Their Records?" here.This talks more about securing appointments, but you do the same thing for contacts.

Note that preventing editing is a little less intrusive than preventing someone from "seeing" a record: FileMaker is kind of ham fisted about that. If you do need to prevent someone from seeing things, consider applying field-level security so they can see the record, but not certain important information IN the record, like open balances, emails, or invoices.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:21 am
John,

Thank you for your comments!

I am a Seedcode Complete user and it would sure be nice if there was already an option to select a check box when creating new contacts to make them "public" or "private" (not seen) to other shared users. Similar to the "this is a contact/company box) when creating new records. This would be very useful and I believe a common feature in most Contact Manager programs.
myseed
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:30 am
Agreed. It is always a tough choice between new features and simplicity, but I hear you and that is something we'll have to think about. Thanks!
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar