Building Dashboard layout

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm
I'd like to build a dashboard layout that would display 2 weeks of basic week view, and a number of filtered portals that display various subsets of contacts. I've added a contact type field to my contacts table, and a value list and checkbox set that allow me to categorize my contacts.
The layout would be used both for on the fly snapshot look at the data, and also to generate a once weekly printed report (typically on a Sunday, and showing the preceding and upcoming weeks).
Can I use an existing table occurrence / layout /relationship as a starting point? If not, can you recommend a general table occurrence and relationship structure that would support these goals?
Thanks, I've enjoyed using Seedcode Calendar and benefited from your useful support forum discussions.
Mark
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:51 am
Tough question.

So the basic week view is based on the table occurrence CalendarMonth. So if you base your dashboard layout on the same Table Occurrence you'll be able to use the 7 day portals we have there on your layout. That would get you one week. A second week is tricky because we do it in a list view so additional weeks are additional records in the Filter table on which Calendar Month is based.

To create a second week in form view you'd create 7 additional table occurrences and portals (CalMonthAppointments8, CalMonthAppointments9, etc.) based on new versions of the key fields in Filter (that is, you'd create CalDateText8_k_Calc, CalDateText9_k_Calc, etc.)

That is a lot of work, as is teaching the buttons and script in that second week about the new table occurrences. But if you can't live with one week and a time and clicking arrows to switch weeks, then here are a few more tips as you get going.

- Add your new layout to the tests for week view in the script " Tab Navigation - Layout Specific Routines" or figure out another way to perform the script "Go To Selected Week" whenever you land on this layout (you need to be on the right CalendarMonth record for the week to display correctly).

- The "Edit Appointment..." scripts all have tests for which of the 7 columns we're working on: you'll need to teach all of these that you now have 14 columns on some layouts.

Please don't read this as me trying to discourage you from doing this: it sounds very cool. It just isn't an easy extension of what we've done.

Sounds fun though!
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar