using project hours to assign employees resources

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:00 am
This looks like the perfect solution for my small construction company.

However one important thing that i am looking for from the Gantt chart i cant find.

I set up a Project then create a milestones for that project such as "Workshop construction"

I know that the workshop construction will take 900 man hours to build.
Is there a way to enter this 900 hrs onto the milestone, then assign people
ether as staff or resources to the milestone. As i assign people the finish date changes automatically on the calendar/Gantt.
eg if i assign three people the 900 hour takes me to 9th of June to complete this milestone but if i need to be done sooner and put five people to this milestone it automatically recalculates the new date therefore i know that my projected part of the project will be on schedule if i put the right number of resources to it.

I see i can put a start date and a finish date for the milestone and also i can put the forecast hours. but i cant see how these are linked to how many people are working on the milestone .

Interested to find out if this is possible
thanks in advance
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:55 pm
Thanks for the post. You're right that all these attributes of a task are here (Staff, Forecast Hours, Due Date), but they're not linked in the way you describe.

We've made a pretty generic calendar, as you can see, and forging a relationship between these facts is something is something you'd need to add, probably via script triggers attached to the staff and forecast hours fields.

You can get pretty deep with this...

- are all staff contributing to the project the same amount (3 "equal" people in your example)?

- If I change the deadline, should the software tell me that the job is now over or under allocated?

...etc.

I'd encourage you to write scripts to change these dates based on staff allocation, and then after you've tested that these work, apply these scripts to script triggers on the fields I mentioned so the relationship is "automated".

If you need help this is certainly the kind of thing we can give you a quote for. Just get in touch and tell us how far you'd like to take this.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode

Return to SeedCode Calendar