Color days on the year view

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:37 pm
If there is any event on a particular day, I would like to color the corresponding date on the year view. I would also want that to be effected by filtering also.

Thanks
Scott
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:15 pm
Hi Scott,

That isn't included in the new calendar: we had it in the older version and remove it because it was too slow. Even with the techniques we use to speed up the calendar, looping through a year takes some time unless you use some tricks to jump past all the events of the same day.

Needless to say it is a tricky script to write. But it can be done.

I can offer to describe the technique for you if you'd like to add this yourself, or I can recommend a developer who could do this for you very efficiently.

The developer is Todd Geist at Geist Interactive (http://www.geistinteractive.com). He does excellent work, and loves mods like this.

The technique, if you want to try this yourself, goes like this.

First, find all the events for the current year which match the filters. We have scripts for this, but they currently abort if on the year view, you'll want to turn those aborts off.

Then loop through these events and write a list of all the dates that have events to a global variable named $$__NinjaCalSelectedList. The trick here is to sort the events by date and add a summary field to the events table that counts the events for each date: after you write an event to the variable, don't just loop to the next record, go to the next Xth record based on the count of this summary field.

Once that global variable is written, refreshing the screen will reveal these dates. Since this is slow you might even make this a button on the year view that only reveals events when asked to: so the year view isn't slow when someone just wants to find out of June 29th is a Wednesday.

If you need more help, ask Todd to script this for you. But its worth trying to add this yourself to see how far you get.

Hope that helps,

John
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:46 pm
Jonn,

That looks like interesting script to write. I may at least give an attempt for the learning aspect. I have plenty of other things to do on this "freebie" project so it will be great to have Todd as a resource if the users put a high priority on. Some of the users are remote so I'm guessing the speed issue needs to be a big consideration.

Thanks
Scott

Return to SeedCode Calendar