Inconsistent problem with Bring Windows to Front script

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:05 am
I have a seemingly inconsistent problem with the Bring Windows to Front script. The script seems to work at some times and not at others but I can not identify a pattern. It seems to be fixed at times by closing the solution and re-opening it but also seems to be be a problem at times right after the solution is opened.

When the problem is occurring, the Data Viewer shows that the Set Variable script step defining $sc_WindowNames [as Value:WindowNames ( Get ( FileName ) )] is not working. Then, because $sc_WindowNames is not present, $sc_Count = 0 and the script fails to bring the windows to the front.

I have tried changing the Set Variable script to be:
$sc_WindowNames; Value:WindowNames ($$sc_SolutionWindowName)
but this, too, has failed to fix the problem. Any ideas?
Jack L. Koch Jr., M.D.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:08 am
Hey Dr Koch,

Sorry I lost track of this one :oops:

I'll get back to you on this shortly.

-J
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:28 am
Hi,

It's strange that WindowNames ( Get ( FileName ) ) would fail. Can you enter that manually into the data viewer and see if it works then? Are their windows from multiple files open when it happens?

I have seen certain file names fail when put into these Design Functions. What is the file name?

Thanks,
Jason
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:02 am
The problem is inconsistently present on multiple machines (one running FM Pro 11 Advanced and some running FM Pro). The data is being served (by FM Pro 11 Server) but I have noticed that the problem may show up on one client and not another while accessing the data at the same time.

I monitored WindowNames ( Get ( FileName ) ) and it shows the window names correctly when it works and shows nothing when it is not working.

The filename is PsychPractice. No spaces and no non-alphanumeric characters.

What drives me crazy is that the problem is either there or not from the time the front end is first opened on the client. If I close it and re-open it, it usually will change (to either working or not working.) I considered trying to re-install FileMaker but the problem is (episodically) present on multiple machines. Any ideas?
Jack L. Koch Jr., M.D.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:11 am
One more oddity that I have noticed: even when the data viewer shows no names (even after a refresh) for WindowNames ( Get ( FileName ) ),
The If statement in the Close Window and Refresh Calendar script:
If [ValueCount ( WindowNames ( Get ( FileName ) ) > 1 )]
still triggers the perform script for Bring All Windows Forward {All} (when it should) and yet the Bring All Windows Forward script still fails to bring the other windows forward.

As I had mentioned before, the filename is PsychPractice but the appointment windows still retain the original window names: Event Detail - (date) - #.
Jack L. Koch Jr., M.D.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:13 pm
Hi,

Hmmm? Hard to tell. Are you launching the calendar as an additional window from your "main" window, or is the calendar opened in the same window? The script "Bring All WIndows Forward { All }" assumes that there's not that extra window in the background, so that might be related.

Unfortunately, John and I are both at Devcon this week, and may be a bit slow to respond, but let me know, and I'll do my best to help get this resolved.

If you're still having trouble with this, then I'd like to take a look at the file to see if I can figure it out. It wouldn't require any data to test, so a clone would be fine.

Thanks,
Jason
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:31 pm
No, the calendar is integrated into the main solution and there is no other window open except for the appointment windows. I have also tried to see if I could find any reports of others having inconsistent problems with the WindowNames script function (to no avail.)

The database is based on a data separation model with 23 external data sources (some of which are local and some are served.) If there is something in particular that I could provide, I would certainly be happy to do what I can.

After having made a number of attempts at resolving the issue on my own, I have reverted back to the original scripts from SeedCode for bringing the windows to the front. I do appreciate any thoughts that you might have.
Jack L. Koch Jr., M.D.
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:16 pm
Follow up here. We are using the Design Function "WindowNames," to gather the current window names and then cycle through them. Oddly enough, here we're seeing the function fail when used as:

WindowNames ( Get ( FileName ) )

which seems like it should always return something if a file is open. The file name is vanilla, so not sure what's going on here. We set up a workaround.

Return to SeedCode Calendar