Value List from Calculation?

Support for our integrated Contact Manager, Calendar, and Project Tracker.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:09 pm
I've had a request for a mod that I'm not sure how to approach.

Right now I'm using a modified version of the "Get Addresses for Contact" script to assign the Billing and Shipping addresses to Invoices (great script).
I've modified SCC to be much more Company centric and so this script was changed as well and is now "Get Addresses for Company" (Companies have additional addresses just like Contacts). Of course I also have the original version for when I need to pull a Contact's addresses.

But one client wants something a bit unusual...
In their case Invoices within the same Project could have different addressing than the others. The addresses could be the Company main address or one of the additional addresses or even pulled from the Contact's various addresses. They basically want a drop-down list where they can select which address to put on the invoice... any address from any related source.

If FMP allowed for Value Lists based on Calculations I'm sure I could sort out a script that would create a list to select any address from any "related" Company or Contact address and list them by the address Tags... but FMP doesn't have Value List from Calculations.

Right now I'm thinking of using some "Portal" trickery to show all the related addresses and then overlay a button on the Tag field that would pass the linked address info into the proper Invoice fields.

Any thoughts?
I'm sure the Seedcode gang is planning just such a feature in the next update :)

Thanks
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:25 am
Hi,

Right, interesting problem. This would be much easier if you were only dealing with related addresses, but since we're checking both the related records and the parents (contact and companies) themselves, it's trickier.

Maybe having a selection pop-up that has a portal to the related additionladdresses table, and then some dedicated fields that "look like" they are part of the portal that reference the Contact and Company addresses themselves through separate relationships. That way they're all in one window and different buttons should allow you to select the correct one.

hth,
Jason

Return to SeedCode Calendar