DayBack is not running on every Mac / PC

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:38 am
Hi,

we're using a DayBack license with more than 5 Users and more than 5 Users had opened
the DayBack file on FM Server. If other users open DayBack from other Mac Minis or PCs,
some Mac Minis and/or PCs will do, others not.

We're using FM Server 13.0.9 and FM Pro 13.0.9 on Macs with OS X 10.8.5 to 10.10.x and
Windows 8. It seems not to be a network problem. Opening DayBack from Mac Mini i.e will
fail, opening DayBack from a Virtual Machine with Win 8.1 on this Mac Mini will work.

All users use the same credentials for login. But in the past this was not a problem.

Thanks a lot for any help,
Marcus
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:48 am
HI Marcus,
That seems odd that it is failing for some and not others. If it was a licensing issue you would get a message that says you have exceeded the licensed user count. Do you get a message like that?

When you say that it "fails" could you elaborate a little bit on exactly how the issue manifests? Is the calendar layout blank? Does it just not load events? Is there an error message of any kind? Does the file open at all?

Any additional info you can give could be helpful here.

Thanks,
Tanner
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:05 am
Hi Tanner,

Sorry! Some users can open DayBack but don't see events. Other users told me, that FileMaker crashed and had to be restarted after trying to open DayBack
PCs or Virtual Machines use Win 7 not Win 8. Sorry about that. On PCs it seems that everything is working fine now, without changes. There are no error messages of any kind.

Thanks a lot for help,
Marcus
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:08 pm
I suspect that on the computers where no events are showing that the FMP url protocol isn't working properly. DayBack uses that protocol to call FileMaker scripts from the web viewer and if that isn't working that would explain why no events are showing.

There is a troubleshooting document that talks about what to do when that doesn't work:

http://www.seedcode.com/pmwiki/index.ph ... leshooting

Check out the top section where it says "The Calendar Seems to be Opening an Older Copy of FileMaker". Even though it is a different symptom that issue is related.

We have actually created a simple file for checking if this is the issue:

FMP URL Tester.fmp12.zip
(65.6 KiB) Downloaded 920 times

Just have the users with problems open up that file and click the link when it opens. You should get a dialog that says it works, if no dialog appears then the FMP url protocol isn't working.

Sometimes fixing the issue can be as easy as a computer restart, but if that doesn't work then uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker is the solution, or on the Mac you can use that utility listed in our troubleshooting doc.

I haven't experienced, or received reports of crashing so I don't know what would be causing that. I would make sure they have the latest FileMaker updates applied and maybe restart the computer to make sure there isn't a memory leak or some other unrelated issue affecting things.

If the crashing continues you could download the DayBack trial from our website and open that on the machine that is crashing. It could be an implementation issue if the stock copy of DayBack doesn't exhibit the same issue.

Hope that helps,

Tanner

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker