These are the notes for GoZync 3. Docs for the latest version of GoZync--GoZync 4--can be found here. GoZync 4 is a free upgrade and is highly recommended (hint: it's faster).
Some useful definitions...
...for things we might not have been explicit about elsewhere.
- "Application Programming Interface" - These are scripts written so developers can tell GoZync what to do without getting deep into all the scripts that do it. =) More on the idea of an API from wikipedia
- More than a record, an entity is the database's depiction of a real-world object, usually comprising more than one record. So a "contact" is an entity comprised of a contact record and possibly one or more address records. An "invoice" is comprised of the invoice record, one or more invoice line item records, and perhaps several related photo records. GoZync is transactional at the "entity" level. Whole entities are passed from mobile to host and back so you never have a "partial" entity-- an invoice with only some of its line items, for example.
- the primary key from another table, used inside a child table to link records together. So if we have Invoices and Invoice Line Items, the line items table contains a field for the invoice id: that is, the foreign key in the line items table.
- our shorthand name for your hosted solution. We use this name because it (correctly) implies that your mobile solution is usually / should be a much simpler, mission-specific, version of your, more complicated, hosted solution: the "mothership
- The text object GoZync created to represent your entity when syncing. Think of it as a textual description of the record. You can see an export package on the inbox layout of GoZyncHosted.
- This is the unique ID or serial number for your record. A contact's ID in a contact's database. This is probably a field you're already using to relate tables to each other.
- The parent table occurrence for your entity. For example, "Invoice" in a record made of an invoice record and one or more invoice line item records. It is a list of Zynced primary TO layouts you see in the dashboard of GoZyncHosted.
- Short for "table occurrence" - a representation of a table on the "Relationships" tab of "Manage / Database"
- A "universally unique id"; see our article on "UUIDs