Vowels / Umlaute - Problem with Win 81

Notes on our latest calendar for FileMaker 13,: DayBack
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:42 am
Hello,

on Mac everything is fine.

But I tried DayBack Calendar with Win 81. First issue was that an event disappeared when I moved
the event from one resource to another. It seems it's because the resource name has a vowel.

We use a FileMaker layout when creating events. There is no problem with vowels when using the FileMaker layout.
Only on Win 81 when moving the event to a resource with vowel in its name.

I modified the script to use WebViewer instead of FM layout for creating events. Creating a new event for a resource
with vowel in the resource name then the event is not visible in the resource schedule.

Creating an event for a resource without vowel in it's name but vowels in summary and/or description results
in a visible event but with strange characters instead of vowels.

All this is no problem on Mac, but on Win.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Marcus
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:33 am
Interesting, Marcus! Can you type in here a couple of the vowels that are giving you trouble in Windows?
John Sindelar
SeedCode
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:08 am
Hi John,

I typed Ä Ö Ü ä ö ü ß. The result after saving you can see in the attachment - are
only strange characters. I tried it several times, but it's still the same, and the same
on my customers pc.
pict4b.png
vowels Ä Ö Ü ä ö ü ß
pict4b.png (57.95 KiB) Viewed 10014 times

Also the problem is with vowels in the resource name that results in a disappearing
event. Thanks a lot for your help!

Marcus
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:47 pm
Marcus,
We were able to reproduce the issue you describe in Windows. As you stated the problem does not occur on the Mac, just Windows. This is most likely a character encoding issue and Internet Explorer but we are investigating.

We will let you know as soon as we have a fix.

Thanks,
Tanner
SeedCode Staff
SeedCode Staff
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:15 am
Hi Marcus,
We have done some troubleshooting and it looks like there is a bug in the way FileMaker Pro decodes those characters when they are url encoded on Windows when using the fmp protocol.

I have put together a sample file that reproduces this issue. Run the sample file on the Mac and those characters are decoded properly, run it on Windows and they are mangled as you have been experiencing in DayBack.

FMP URL.fmp12.zip
(66.07 KiB) Downloaded 945 times

In this case I would suggest that you request that FileMaker fix this bug here:
http://www.filemaker.com/company/contac ... quest.html

Our DayBack online product is unaffected by this bug as it doesn't call scripts using the FMP protocol we write data using the xml gateway. So if that is a good fit maybe you could use that product to avoid this issue until FileMaker can resolve the issue.

If that isn't an option I would avoid those characters until FileMaker can resolve this issue. Please do submit the bug to FileMaker so it is on their radar, I believe the request will carry more weight coming from you.

Thanks,
Tanner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:19 am
Hi Tanner,

I'll request that FileMaker fix the bug. Thanks a lot for your help and infos.
Marcus

Return to DayBack Calendar for FileMaker